Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

Director of Scrapped Netflix Documentary About Prince Speaks Out

Gary Leonard; Distributed by Warner Bros., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Gary Leonard; Distributed by Warner Bros., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

The decision to shelve Ezra Edelman’s ambitious nine-hour documentary on Prince by Netflix and Prince’s estate has stirred significant controversy and raised questions about the interplay between artistic freedom and commercial interests. Edelman, known for his Oscar-winning documentary O.J.: Made in America, has voiced his discontent over the project’s cancellation, accusing those involved of being “afraid of his humanity.”

Edelman’s project intended to provide a comprehensive look at Prince’s life, delving into both his musical genius and his complex and often controversial personal life. Sources reveal that Edelman used a wealth of archival footage and conducted interviews with over 70 of Prince’s associates, friends, and former partners. Some of these testimonies alleged instances of physical and emotional abuse by Prince, portraying a multifaceted image that contrasted with the enigmatic persona the artist crafted during his life. This portrayal, according to Edelman, was not intended to mar Prince’s legacy but to highlight his humanity and the struggles that came with his artistic genius.

The tension between the artistic vision of Edelman and the interests of Prince’s estate underscores a broader trend in documentary filmmaking today, where the subjects or their representatives often exert significant influence over the narrative. Edelman criticized this trend, arguing that it often results in sanitized “slop” rather than authentic storytelling. He emphasized the irony of Prince—a noted advocate for artistic freedom—being the center of a project that was ultimately repressed due to concerns over its unvarnished truth.

The estate’s decision to block the documentary was informed by concerns that the film would cause “generational harm” to Prince’s image, potentially deterring younger fans. According to Edelman, they returned with a 17-page document querying not the factual accuracy of the film—something they were tasked to verify—but its editorial choices. Meanwhile, the shift to a new estate-sanctioned documentary promises exclusive archival content, which raises fears among critics that it may gloss over the less favorable aspects of Prince’s life in favor of a more polished narrative.

The narrative pushed by Edelman and echoed by the media highlights a critical conversation about how we immortalize cultural icons. While preserving an idealized legacy is understandable from a commercial perspective, it risks simplifying the nuanced lives of such individuals into inauthentic caricatures. The debate surrounding the Prince documentary continues to illustrate the difficulties in balancing the need for truthful storytelling with the preservation of an artist’s legacy.

Key Takeaways

Related Stories

Rikki Rockett Explains Why He Waited to Publish Poison Memoir ‘Ghost Notes’

Poison drummer Rikki Rockett says he sat on his memoir ‘Ghost Notes: My Life In Poison’ for years so his late parents wouldn’t be embarrassed by its contents.

Gene Simmons Needs Four Tries to Nail First Pitch at Angels Game with Paul Stanley

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley took the mound at Angel Stadium on August 15, with Simmons requiring four tries before he was happy with his throw.

Foo Fighters to Open for AC/DC in St. Louis, Stepping In for The Pretty Reckless

Foo Fighters announced they will step away from their Take Cover stadium tour for one night to open AC/DC’s September 8 show in St. Louis, taking over the slot previously held by The Pretty Reckless.

Vivian Campbell Says His Cancer Has Returned After Donor Transplant Failed

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his Hodgkin’s lymphoma has returned after a donor stem cell transplant he received in January 2025 failed to hold, and he is now continuing treatment while staying active with the band, Last In Line and rally driving.

Neil Peart Documentary ‘No One’s Disciple’ Set for TIFF World Premiere

A new documentary on late Rush drummer Neil Peart, ‘No One’s Disciple,’ is set to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2026, ahead of a CBC broadcast later that month.

Alex Lifeson Says Quitting Marijuana at 72 Sharpened His Focus Before Rush’s Fifty Something Tour

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has told Rolling Stone that he gave up marijuana at age 72, roughly four months before the band’s Fifty Something tour kicked off in June, saying the decision sharpened his memory and focus.

Beatles Biopic Cast Recreates Abbey Road Album Cover on Famous Crosswalk

Fan footage shows the stars of Sam Mendes’ upcoming Beatles biopics walking the famous Abbey Road crosswalk in costume, mirroring the band’s 1969 album cover.

Jonathan Cain Teases Possible Journey Reunion at Band’s Final Frontier Tour Finale in San Francisco

Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain says he’s hopeful for “a reunion of sorts” when the band’s Final Frontier tour closes out in San Francisco on November 28, 2026, even though Steve Perry has denied rumors he might rejoin the group.

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts to Join Willie Nelson & Family for Two Shows Ahead of Farm Aid 2026

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts have confirmed two co-headlining performances with Willie Nelson & Family in September, setting up a run into Farm Aid 2026.