Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

Tho Who Rocks Royal Albert Hall, Roger Daltrey Reveals Health Issues

ChrisJamesRyanPhotography / shutterstock.com
ChrisJamesRyanPhotography / shutterstock.com

Roger Daltrey, the iconic lead singer of The Who, has recently revealed to fans during a live performance that he is facing severe health challenges, including going deaf and blind. This revelation was made at a charity concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall in support of the Teenage Cancer Trust. At the age of 81, Daltrey candidly spoke to the audience about the physical toll of aging, echoing a theme reminiscent of The Who’s 1969 album Tommy, which tells the story of a character who is “deaf, dumb and blind.” Despite these significant health issues, Daltrey expressed gratitude for retaining his singing voice, a critical component of his enduring performance career.

Throughout the concert, Daltrey used humor to cope with his health struggles, comparing his auditory and visual decline to the character of Tommy, famously described in the band’s song “Pinball Wizard.” Yet, he remained committed to maintaining his role as a vocal performer, indicating his intent to continue engaging with music as long as he could retain his voice. This determination was underscored in a poignant moment during the performance when his voice cracked, a moment he humorously attributed to a “senior moment.”

The concert also highlighted similar challenges faced by his bandmate Pete Townshend, who at 79 years old, discussed his own age-related ailment: undergoing knee replacement surgery. Townshend took a light-hearted approach as well, joking about his new knee and attributing its need to his energetic performance style, which he compared to that of Mick Jagger, the iconic Rolling Stones frontman. Both Daltrey and Townshend have been performing together for over six decades, maintaining their on-stage vigor despite the physical challenges associated with aging.

In addition to performing, Daltrey has played a significant role in the Teenage Cancer Trust concerts, serving as their curator since its inception in 2000. Although he has announced stepping down from this role, he will remain an honorary patron, underscoring his commitment to supporting the charity. The concerts, part of a series at the Royal Albert Hall, will now see a variety of guest curators, with Robert Smith of The Cure announced as one of the upcoming curators.

As The Who plans to continue their performances, including additional shows for the Teenage Cancer Trust, the revelations about Daltrey’s health have not deterred the duo from their lifelong dedication to music. This indomitable spirit remains a defining feature of both Daltrey and Townshend’s enduring legacy. The ongoing involvement of The Who in music exemplifies not only their artistic dedication but also serves as an homage to their long-standing impact on the music industry and their unwavering connection with fans.

Key Takeaways

Related Stories

Foo Fighters to Open for AC/DC in St. Louis, Stepping In for The Pretty Reckless

Foo Fighters announced they will step away from their Take Cover stadium tour for one night to open AC/DC’s September 8 show in St. Louis, taking over the slot previously held by The Pretty Reckless.

Vivian Campbell Says His Cancer Has Returned After Donor Transplant Failed

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his Hodgkin’s lymphoma has returned after a donor stem cell transplant he received in January 2025 failed to hold, and he is now continuing treatment while staying active with the band, Last In Line and rally driving.

Neil Peart Documentary ‘No One’s Disciple’ Set for TIFF World Premiere

A new documentary on late Rush drummer Neil Peart, ‘No One’s Disciple,’ is set to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2026, ahead of a CBC broadcast later that month.

Alex Lifeson Says Quitting Marijuana at 72 Sharpened His Focus Before Rush’s Fifty Something Tour

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has told Rolling Stone that he gave up marijuana at age 72, roughly four months before the band’s Fifty Something tour kicked off in June, saying the decision sharpened his memory and focus.

Beatles Biopic Cast Recreates Abbey Road Album Cover on Famous Crosswalk

Fan footage shows the stars of Sam Mendes’ upcoming Beatles biopics walking the famous Abbey Road crosswalk in costume, mirroring the band’s 1969 album cover.

Jonathan Cain Teases Possible Journey Reunion at Band’s Final Frontier Tour Finale in San Francisco

Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain says he’s hopeful for “a reunion of sorts” when the band’s Final Frontier tour closes out in San Francisco on November 28, 2026, even though Steve Perry has denied rumors he might rejoin the group.

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts to Join Willie Nelson & Family for Two Shows Ahead of Farm Aid 2026

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts have confirmed two co-headlining performances with Willie Nelson & Family in September, setting up a run into Farm Aid 2026.

Evan Stanley and Nick Simmons Defend the Name Behind Their Band Stanley Simmons

Evan Stanley and Nick Simmons, sons of KISS members Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, addressed criticism of their band name Stanley Simmons during an appearance on SoundExchange’s “Sound Advice” series.

Dee Snider Apologizes to Kelly Osbourne Over Comments About Ozzy’s Songwriting

Dee Snider publicly apologized to Kelly Osbourne on August 18, 2026, after his social media comments questioning her late father Ozzy Osbourne’s songwriting credits drew a sharp rebuke.