Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

Journey’s Stagecoach Set Ends With Emergency Evacuation

ID 277555464 | Neal Schon © 
Taylor  Creek Media | Dreamstime.com
ID 277555464 | Neal Schon © Taylor Creek Media | Dreamstime.com

The desert always has the last word at Indio. On Saturday night, April 25, the wind came in hard off the San Jacintos and tore the back half of Stagecoach 2026 down to studs, knocking Journey off the bill before they could so much as plug in. It was the kind of weather that turns a country festival into a parking-lot exodus, and for the band that's spent half a century perfecting the art of the arena finale, it was a rare and bitter inconvenience: ready, willing, and grounded.

Things had been ugly all afternoon. A regional wind advisory had been in effect for the Coachella Valley, with sustained winds in the 25-to-35 mph range and gusts forecast to punch into the 50s and 60s. By early evening at the Empire Polo Club, that forecast was no longer theoretical. Cowboy hats were sailing. Planters were going over. Vendors were boarding up early. Little Big Town were on the Mane Stage trying to hold the line when the gusts started swallowing the sound, and over at the Palomino, organizers cut Gavin Adcock's set midstream. Then the screens went black and lit up with the words nobody wants to see at a music festival: EMERGENCY EVACUATION.

The message was clipped and clear. The festival had been postponed until further notice. Move to the nearest exit, quickly and calmly. The official app pushed the same alert. Thousands of fans poured toward the parking lots and shuttle buses while crews chased loose gear across the polo grounds. The crowd that had gathered in front of the Mustang Stage waiting on Journey, who were due up shortly, was rerouted into the same human tide.

Roughly an hour later, Stagecoach announced it was, in their words, back in the saddle. Lainey Wilson would still headline, pushed an hour later to 10:30 p.m. Pitbull's late-night Mustang set slid from 11 p.m. to a midnight start, running until 1 a.m. Adcock was rebooked into the Whiskey Jam All-Star Sing-Along in the Palomino Tent. But two names were quietly missing from the new schedule. Riley Green was off the bill. So were Journey.

By the time the gates reopened, plenty of fans were already halfway to their hotels. Shuttle drivers reported passengers asking to be turned around. The festival's Instagram comments turned into a pile-on, with one fan venting about being made to stampede out only to be told to come back and fight parking-lot traffic again. For the country diehards who had flown in specifically for Saturday night, the disappointment cut deeper. For the rock fans, it cut differently: Journey at Stagecoach was already an unusual booking, the kind of crossover slot the band rarely takes, and it was gone before a single note rang out.

Neal Schon broke the silence Sunday on Facebook. He apologized to the crowd, said the band had been looking forward to the show, and made a point of clarifying that the call to scrap the set had not come from Journey. The decision, he wrote, had been issued and communicated to the band's team during the emergency, and the safety of fans, crew, and everyone on site had to come first. He thanked fans for their patience and their support. Jonathan Cain followed on X with the same message in fewer words, calling the winds extremely dangerous and adding that the band was waiting in the wings, ready to play, when the call came down.

It is a strange footnote to what's already been a strange chapter for Journey. The Final Frontier tour, currently winding through 2026 with dates booked into August in Sturgis, has been billed as Cain's last run with the group, though both he and Schon have publicly floated the possibility of the tour stretching well into 2027. The two men have spent much of the past four years in courtrooms and on social media, sparring over band finances, brand control, and political optics, and the reconciliation announced last fall is still being tested in real time. A lost festival set, you suspect, is a problem they're both glad to blame on something other than each other.

Journey are scheduled to be back onstage Wednesday night in Las Vegas. The desert wind, having had its say, will presumably stay where it belongs.

Related Stories

Rock Hall Opens Major Paul McCartney and Wings Exhibit Through 2026

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame launched a new exhibit dedicated to Paul McCartney and Wings, open since May 15 and scheduled to run through at least end of 2026.

Geddy Lee Calls Out Drummers Who Pushed to Replace Neil Peart After His Death

Geddy Lee tells Guitar World that many drummers reached out after Neil Peart’s 2020 death to push themselves as replacements, calling the behavior ‘most

Billy Joel Biopic ‘Billy & Me’ in the Works, Shooting in Winnipeg This Fall

Director John Ottman is set to helm ‘Billy & Me,’ a feature biopic on Billy Joel’s early years, with production planned for Winnipeg and New York this fall.

Jeff Lynne on Writing With Brian Wilson in Malibu: ‘It Was Horrible’

Jeff Lynne opened up about writing ‘Let It Shine’ with Brian Wilson at his Malibu home during the troubled years under therapist Dr. Eugene Landy’s control.

Dave Grohl Calls Out ‘D.O.A.’ Lyric as Foo Fighters’ Cringiest Line

Dave Grohl singled out a line from ‘D.O.A.’ as the Foo Fighters lyric he cringes at most, admitting it during a Hot Ones Versus episode with his bandmates.

Lindsey Buckingham’s Alleged Stalker Pleads Not Guilty to Seven Charges

Michelle Dick, 55, appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom after pleading not guilty to seven charges tied to an alleged years-long stalking campaign against

Rod Stewart Says 2027 UK Tour Will ‘Probably’ Be His Last on the Road

Rod Stewart says his upcoming 2027 UK tour, including a date at The O2, will ‘probably be it’ for him on the road after 60-plus years of performing.

Black Crowes Launch Southern Hospitality Tour in Austin With Guest-Filled Set

The Black Crowes opened their Southern Hospitality Tour at Austin’s Moody Center on May 17, 2026, with a 16-song set featuring guests John Doe and Charlie

Brian May Shreds on Masters of the Universe Soundtrack Ahead of Hollywood Premiere

Brian May contributes guitar to composer Daniel Pemberton’s Masters of the Universe score. Two versions of ‘Eternia’ are out now ahead of the May 18 Hollywood