Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

P. Diddy Rejects Plea Deal From Feds

American rapper Diddy (Sean Combs) arrives at the 2022 Billboard Music Awards held at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 15, 2022 in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. 2022 Billboard Music Awards - Arrivals, Mgm Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States - 16 May 2022
Photo by Image Press Agency/NurPhoto/Shutterstock (12942327vq)

Sean “Diddy” Combs has once again become a focal point of intense media scrutiny as he anticipates a high-profile federal trial for serious allegations including sex trafficking and racketeering. Sean Combs, a titan in the hip-hop industry known by multiple monikers over his storied career, faces grave accusations from federal prosecutors. The charges against him include sex trafficking and racketeering centered around alleged coerced participation of women in events known as “Freak Offs.” These gatherings, described as elaborate, drug-fueled, and multi-day sexual performances with male sex workers, are said by prosecutors to involve coercion through the use of threats and manipulation. Combs’ defense counters these claims by presenting these activities as consensual, part of a lifestyle alternative known as “swingers,” which they argue is a common and accepted practice among certain social circles.

In a recent courtroom hearing, it was revealed that Combs had rejected a plea deal offered by federal prosecutors, choosing to contest the charges in court. Combs’ attorney, Marc Agnifilo, highlighted his client’s belief that the activities were consensual due to their normalization in certain lifestyles, suggesting they were misinterpreted as criminal acts. Despite the defense’s strategy, federal prosecutors have indicated possession of substantial evidence against Combs, including video footage from 2016 allegedly showing Combs assaulting his ex-girlfriend, Casandra Ventura, in a Los Angeles hotel. The footage, which Combs’ legal team argues is manipulated, was deemed admissible in court by U.S. District Judge Arun Subramanian.

The upcoming trial has significant implications not only due to the nature of the charges but also because of Combs’ status in the entertainment industry. As jury selection is set to begin soon, the trial is expected to last eight to ten weeks, and if convicted, Combs could face multiple decades in prison. This trial is fueled by a larger legal battle that began when Ventura filed a lawsuit against Combs in 2023, citing years of abuse, which was quickly settled out of court. Since then, over 100 individuals have come forward with similar allegations, leading to an expanded federal investigation and subsequent indictment.

The court has scheduled jury selection to commence on May 5, with opening statements predicted for May 12. Throughout the trial, the prosecution plans to introduce a range of evidence, including filmed “Freak Offs.” Prosecutors intend for some of this evidence to be shown exclusively to the jury to underline their claims, arguing that the filming exhibits Combs’ control over his participants. The defense, meanwhile, hopes to negate these allegations by characterizing the interactions as consensual and typical of a broader, non-mainstream lifestyle Combs is said to identify with.

A defining moment in the case was federal Judge Subramanian’s recent pre-trial ruling around expert testimonies. The judge ruled that psychologist Dr. Dawn Hughes would not be allowed to testify on coercive control—a form of domestic abuse—though she could speak on coping strategies which victims may adopt in abusive relationships. These disputes over testimonies reflect ongoing tensions and strategic maneuvering between Combs’ defense and the federal prosecution.

As the trial date looms, Combs remains detained at Brooklyn’s Metropolitan Detention Center, denied bail due to concerns of potential witness tampering. His legal team continues to argue that his intentions have been mischaracterized, presenting a “swinger” lifestyle as core to Combs’ defense in attempt to mitigate legal repercussions. The outcome of this trial could serve as a pivotal moment in his career and personal life, underscoring the magnitude of the charges he faces and the robust defenses his legal team presents to counter them. The public eye will remain fixated on these proceedings as they unfold, given the significant legal, cultural, and celebrity aspects intertwined in this high-stakes trial.

Key Takeaways

Related Stories

Rikki Rockett Explains Why He Waited to Publish Poison Memoir ‘Ghost Notes’

Poison drummer Rikki Rockett says he sat on his memoir ‘Ghost Notes: My Life In Poison’ for years so his late parents wouldn’t be embarrassed by its contents.

Gene Simmons Needs Four Tries to Nail First Pitch at Angels Game with Paul Stanley

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley took the mound at Angel Stadium on August 15, with Simmons requiring four tries before he was happy with his throw.

Foo Fighters to Open for AC/DC in St. Louis, Stepping In for The Pretty Reckless

Foo Fighters announced they will step away from their Take Cover stadium tour for one night to open AC/DC’s September 8 show in St. Louis, taking over the slot previously held by The Pretty Reckless.

Vivian Campbell Says His Cancer Has Returned After Donor Transplant Failed

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his Hodgkin’s lymphoma has returned after a donor stem cell transplant he received in January 2025 failed to hold, and he is now continuing treatment while staying active with the band, Last In Line and rally driving.

Neil Peart Documentary ‘No One’s Disciple’ Set for TIFF World Premiere

A new documentary on late Rush drummer Neil Peart, ‘No One’s Disciple,’ is set to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2026, ahead of a CBC broadcast later that month.

Alex Lifeson Says Quitting Marijuana at 72 Sharpened His Focus Before Rush’s Fifty Something Tour

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has told Rolling Stone that he gave up marijuana at age 72, roughly four months before the band’s Fifty Something tour kicked off in June, saying the decision sharpened his memory and focus.

Beatles Biopic Cast Recreates Abbey Road Album Cover on Famous Crosswalk

Fan footage shows the stars of Sam Mendes’ upcoming Beatles biopics walking the famous Abbey Road crosswalk in costume, mirroring the band’s 1969 album cover.

Jonathan Cain Teases Possible Journey Reunion at Band’s Final Frontier Tour Finale in San Francisco

Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain says he’s hopeful for “a reunion of sorts” when the band’s Final Frontier tour closes out in San Francisco on November 28, 2026, even though Steve Perry has denied rumors he might rejoin the group.

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts to Join Willie Nelson & Family for Two Shows Ahead of Farm Aid 2026

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts have confirmed two co-headlining performances with Willie Nelson & Family in September, setting up a run into Farm Aid 2026.