Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

Six-Part Prince Documentary Scrapped by Netflix

Northfoto / Shutterstock.com
Northfoto / Shutterstock.com

The long-awaited and highly controversial Netflix documentary series on Prince, directed by Ezra Edelman, has officially been shelved, following considerable dispute and significant developments in the narrative surrounding its production. Announced originally in 2018, the series promised a deep dive into Prince’s life, using rich archival materials alongside interviews with people who knew him well. Despite initial agreements, the project faced backlash over its portrayal of the musical icon. The Prince estate objected strongly to what they described as “sensationalized” depictions and “dramatic” factual inaccuracies, which included controversial allegations about Prince’s personal life, including accusations of abuse from former romantic partners. Such representations triggered contention, eventually contributing to the project’s cancellation.

The allegations of abuse, as reported by the New York Times Magazine, played a significant role in the project’s downfall. Early agreements with the estate, which initially supported the project, crumbled under the weight of these discordant interpretations. The estate, unhappy with this portrayal, described the documentary as misrepresentative of Prince, citing that it had been developed under prior representations that no longer held. As these disputes unraveled, the Prince estate and Netflix jointly decided not to proceed with the release. Instead, they announced plans to allow the Prince Estate to “develop and produce a new documentary featuring exclusive content from Prince’s archive.”

Following this cancellation, the estate posted online that “The Vault Has Been Freed,” symbolizing a new chapter in handling Prince’s narrative. This next endeavor is poised to delve into exclusive archival materials, promising a different insight perhaps better aligned with the cherished memory of Prince and his indelible impact on music. Prince’s estate has urged that future biographical renderings be reflective of his legacy’s depth and the complexities of his persona, cultivating authentic storytelling that balances Prince’s personal intricacies with his remarkable professional accomplishments.

Beyond this documentary, plans continue for other creative projects around Prince’s legacy. Eminent director Ryan Coogler is involved in developing a jukebox musical that highlights Prince’s musical contributions. This dynamic and multifaceted approach to Prince’s posthumous output, combining cinematic and musical projects, reflects the broad influence he continues to have on the entertainment industry. As these projects unfold, the profound impact that Prince had on music and culture continues to flourish, celebrated in ways that likely resonate with more genuine interpretations of his life’s story.

Key Takeaways

Related Stories

Foo Fighters to Open for AC/DC in St. Louis, Stepping In for The Pretty Reckless

Foo Fighters announced they will step away from their Take Cover stadium tour for one night to open AC/DC’s September 8 show in St. Louis, taking over the slot previously held by The Pretty Reckless.

Vivian Campbell Says His Cancer Has Returned After Donor Transplant Failed

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his Hodgkin’s lymphoma has returned after a donor stem cell transplant he received in January 2025 failed to hold, and he is now continuing treatment while staying active with the band, Last In Line and rally driving.

Neil Peart Documentary ‘No One’s Disciple’ Set for TIFF World Premiere

A new documentary on late Rush drummer Neil Peart, ‘No One’s Disciple,’ is set to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2026, ahead of a CBC broadcast later that month.

Alex Lifeson Says Quitting Marijuana at 72 Sharpened His Focus Before Rush’s Fifty Something Tour

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has told Rolling Stone that he gave up marijuana at age 72, roughly four months before the band’s Fifty Something tour kicked off in June, saying the decision sharpened his memory and focus.

Beatles Biopic Cast Recreates Abbey Road Album Cover on Famous Crosswalk

Fan footage shows the stars of Sam Mendes’ upcoming Beatles biopics walking the famous Abbey Road crosswalk in costume, mirroring the band’s 1969 album cover.

Jonathan Cain Teases Possible Journey Reunion at Band’s Final Frontier Tour Finale in San Francisco

Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain says he’s hopeful for “a reunion of sorts” when the band’s Final Frontier tour closes out in San Francisco on November 28, 2026, even though Steve Perry has denied rumors he might rejoin the group.

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts to Join Willie Nelson & Family for Two Shows Ahead of Farm Aid 2026

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts have confirmed two co-headlining performances with Willie Nelson & Family in September, setting up a run into Farm Aid 2026.

Evan Stanley and Nick Simmons Defend the Name Behind Their Band Stanley Simmons

Evan Stanley and Nick Simmons, sons of KISS members Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, addressed criticism of their band name Stanley Simmons during an appearance on SoundExchange’s “Sound Advice” series.

Dee Snider Apologizes to Kelly Osbourne Over Comments About Ozzy’s Songwriting

Dee Snider publicly apologized to Kelly Osbourne on August 18, 2026, after his social media comments questioning her late father Ozzy Osbourne’s songwriting credits drew a sharp rebuke.