Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

Sammy Hagar ‘Disappointed’ Over Alex Van Halen Project

Sammy Hagar performing live, cropped 1920x1080
Photo credit: Dreamstime image 9175530

Sammy Hagar is not hiding his frustration.

In a new interview on the Rock of Nations radio show, the former Van Halen frontman said he is “disappointed” that neither he nor longtime Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony have been invited to participate in Alex Van Halen's recently announced archival project — an album built around unfinished recordings featuring the late Eddie Van Halen.

“No. We haven't been asked, number one,” Hagar said when asked directly about his involvement.

The project was revealed when Alex Van Halen confirmed in a Brazilian YouTube interview that he and Toto guitarist Steve Lukather are working to complete unreleased Van Halen material. The recordings, originally intended for what would have been the band's next studio album, feature Alex on drums, Eddie on guitar, and Eddie's son Wolfgang Van Halen on bass. Eddie Van Halen died in October 2020 at age 65.

Alex described Lukather's role as providing “connective tissues” on the musical side, while the search for a vocalist continues. Former Bad Company and Free singer Paul Rodgers was approached but declined. Previous Van Halen frontmen David Lee Roth, Hagar, and Gary Cherone were notably unmentioned in Alex's announcement.

Hagar, who fronted Van Halen from 1985 to 1996 and again briefly in 2003–2005, pushed back on the idea that the vaults contain only material from other eras. He described a substantial volume of unreleased Hagar-era recordings that remain in the archives.

“I can tell you, Mike and I, the day I walked in the studio, in 5150, to basically if you wanna call it an audition, but to meet the guys and to play music, we played for about eight hours at least. And we recorded everything,” Hagar said. “Everything that I ever did, and every time we made a record, we recorded hundreds of hours of jam and music, and then we'd cut 'em up, made songs.”

He pointed out that three tracks from the band's 1986 album 5150 — “Summer Nights,” “Good Enough,” and the beginnings of “Get Up” — emerged from that very first jam session alone.

“There's so much stuff that Al could really choose from, if he wanted to include Mike and I,” Hagar said. “But, obviously, Al's got a reason, and he's Alex Van Halen, he can do whatever he wants.”

Anthony, who was also on the Rock of Nations broadcast, expressed willingness to contribute. “If this is material that we jammed on or whatever, I'd have no problem coming in and singing or playing bass or whatever. It's all good there,” he said. Earlier in the week, Anthony had suggested the archival project might work best as an instrumental album.

Hagar was blunter in his closing assessment: “To me, it's an Alex Van Halen project, and it's not necessarily a Van Halen project. But I'm disappointed that Mike and I wouldn't be invited. It's, like, what? Are you kidding me? We're still alive. We're out here doing it. We're playing those songs. We can still do it, you know?”

The tension between Hagar and Alex Van Halen is not new. The two have been estranged for years, dating back to at least the Van Halen reunion tour in 2004. Alex has previously said he was “not interested” in joining Hagar's Best of All Worlds tour, stating that those performances were “not doing the band justice.”

For fans, the dispute underscores an unresolved split in one of rock's most important legacies. The Hagar era produced four consecutive No. 1 albums. Whether that body of work is represented in any posthumous Van Halen release remains a key question.

Hagar and Anthony, along with guitarist Joe Satriani, drummer Kenny Aronoff, and keyboardist Greg Phillinganes, are set for a six-date Las Vegas residency of the Best of All Worlds tour beginning March 11 at Dolby Live at Park MGM.

Related Stories

Rock Hall Opens Major Paul McCartney and Wings Exhibit Through 2026

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame launched a new exhibit dedicated to Paul McCartney and Wings, open since May 15 and scheduled to run through at least end of 2026.

Geddy Lee Calls Out Drummers Who Pushed to Replace Neil Peart After His Death

Geddy Lee tells Guitar World that many drummers reached out after Neil Peart’s 2020 death to push themselves as replacements, calling the behavior ‘most

Billy Joel Biopic ‘Billy & Me’ in the Works, Shooting in Winnipeg This Fall

Director John Ottman is set to helm ‘Billy & Me,’ a feature biopic on Billy Joel’s early years, with production planned for Winnipeg and New York this fall.

Jeff Lynne on Writing With Brian Wilson in Malibu: ‘It Was Horrible’

Jeff Lynne opened up about writing ‘Let It Shine’ with Brian Wilson at his Malibu home during the troubled years under therapist Dr. Eugene Landy’s control.

Dave Grohl Calls Out ‘D.O.A.’ Lyric as Foo Fighters’ Cringiest Line

Dave Grohl singled out a line from ‘D.O.A.’ as the Foo Fighters lyric he cringes at most, admitting it during a Hot Ones Versus episode with his bandmates.

Lindsey Buckingham’s Alleged Stalker Pleads Not Guilty to Seven Charges

Michelle Dick, 55, appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom after pleading not guilty to seven charges tied to an alleged years-long stalking campaign against

Rod Stewart Says 2027 UK Tour Will ‘Probably’ Be His Last on the Road

Rod Stewart says his upcoming 2027 UK tour, including a date at The O2, will ‘probably be it’ for him on the road after 60-plus years of performing.

Black Crowes Launch Southern Hospitality Tour in Austin With Guest-Filled Set

The Black Crowes opened their Southern Hospitality Tour at Austin’s Moody Center on May 17, 2026, with a 16-song set featuring guests John Doe and Charlie

Brian May Shreds on Masters of the Universe Soundtrack Ahead of Hollywood Premiere

Brian May contributes guitar to composer Daniel Pemberton’s Masters of the Universe score. Two versions of ‘Eternia’ are out now ahead of the May 18 Hollywood