Everything Music. Everything News. Everything live.

Neil Young to Headline Glastonbury After Retracting Withdrawal

Neil Young at the Echo Arena by Neil Theasby, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
Neil Young at the Echo Arena by Neil Theasby, CC BY-SA 2.0 , via Wikimedia Commons

Neil Young, the iconic Canadian musician, will headline the Glastonbury Festival in June 2025, reversing his previous decision to withdraw. This announcement has come as a delightful surprise for many fans, who had initially been disappointed by his earlier decision to pull out. Young had initially cited the festival’s alleged “corporate control” following its partnership with the BBC as the reason for his withdrawal. However, he has since retracted his statement, explaining that his initial decision was based on erroneous information.

Young’s change of heart was made public through a statement he posted on his website. In the post, he expressed his excitement about performing at one of his beloved venues and acknowledged the misinformation that had influenced his earlier stance. He wrote, “Happily, the festival is now back on our itinerary and we look forward to playing! Hope to see you there!” This announcement has been welcomed by Glastonbury’s organizers and fans alike. Emily Eavis, the festival’s co-organizer, expressed her joy on Instagram, highlighting Young’s close connection with the event and his unique approach to music, stating, “Neil Young is an artist who’s very close to our hearts at Glastonbury. He does things his own way, and that’s why we love him.”

The involvement of the BBC, which has been the festival’s exclusive broadcast partner since 1997, had initially led Young to believe the festival had succumbed to corporate influences. The BBC has been known to broadcast more than 50 hours of coverage from the event each year, though in past years, Young had limited the public broadcast of his performances. In 2009, during his previous headlining at Glastonbury, Young allowed only five songs from his two-hour set to be televised after lengthy negotiations. This decision highlighted his desire to preserve the exclusivity and mystery of live events, a stance that remains influential in his approach today.

Young and his band, The Chrome Hearts, are the first headliners confirmed for Glastonbury 2025. Speculation persists about the additional acts yet to be announced, with artists such as Olivia Rodrigo, Sam Fender, and The 1975 among the rumored names. Festival tickets, renowned for selling out rapidly, were no exception this year, with sales closing within 32 minutes. Those hopeful for tickets may turn to resale opportunities expected in the spring, coinciding with the release of the full lineup.

As for the partnership dynamics between Young and the BBC, it remains uncertain how much of his upcoming Glastonbury performance will be broadcasted. Young’s history with televised performances suggests a selective approach, aimed at maintaining the allure and authenticity of the live experience. Nonetheless, fans of the Canadian rocker are excited about the prospect of seeing him grace the iconic Pyramid Stage once more, rekindling memories of his impactful performances in previous festivals.

 

Key Takeaways

Related Stories

Foo Fighters to Open for AC/DC in St. Louis, Stepping In for The Pretty Reckless

Foo Fighters announced they will step away from their Take Cover stadium tour for one night to open AC/DC’s September 8 show in St. Louis, taking over the slot previously held by The Pretty Reckless.

Vivian Campbell Says His Cancer Has Returned After Donor Transplant Failed

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell says his Hodgkin’s lymphoma has returned after a donor stem cell transplant he received in January 2025 failed to hold, and he is now continuing treatment while staying active with the band, Last In Line and rally driving.

Neil Peart Documentary ‘No One’s Disciple’ Set for TIFF World Premiere

A new documentary on late Rush drummer Neil Peart, ‘No One’s Disciple,’ is set to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2026, ahead of a CBC broadcast later that month.

Alex Lifeson Says Quitting Marijuana at 72 Sharpened His Focus Before Rush’s Fifty Something Tour

Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson has told Rolling Stone that he gave up marijuana at age 72, roughly four months before the band’s Fifty Something tour kicked off in June, saying the decision sharpened his memory and focus.

Beatles Biopic Cast Recreates Abbey Road Album Cover on Famous Crosswalk

Fan footage shows the stars of Sam Mendes’ upcoming Beatles biopics walking the famous Abbey Road crosswalk in costume, mirroring the band’s 1969 album cover.

Jonathan Cain Teases Possible Journey Reunion at Band’s Final Frontier Tour Finale in San Francisco

Journey keyboardist Jonathan Cain says he’s hopeful for “a reunion of sorts” when the band’s Final Frontier tour closes out in San Francisco on November 28, 2026, even though Steve Perry has denied rumors he might rejoin the group.

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts to Join Willie Nelson & Family for Two Shows Ahead of Farm Aid 2026

Neil Young and the Chrome Hearts have confirmed two co-headlining performances with Willie Nelson & Family in September, setting up a run into Farm Aid 2026.

Evan Stanley and Nick Simmons Defend the Name Behind Their Band Stanley Simmons

Evan Stanley and Nick Simmons, sons of KISS members Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons, addressed criticism of their band name Stanley Simmons during an appearance on SoundExchange’s “Sound Advice” series.

Dee Snider Apologizes to Kelly Osbourne Over Comments About Ozzy’s Songwriting

Dee Snider publicly apologized to Kelly Osbourne on August 18, 2026, after his social media comments questioning her late father Ozzy Osbourne’s songwriting credits drew a sharp rebuke.